Art - Assisted Therapy
Art Heals... Imagine That!
Art-Assisted Therapy creates a supportive, non-judgmental process in a safe environment that allows for exploring inner feelings. It is sometimes called expressive art therapy because it provides a way of expressing outwardly that which we carry within. Many times we can express something prior to our conscious acknowledgement of it. And so, visual language can provide a necessary bridge for healing, personal growth and positive change. Reflecting on the finished image and reviewing the process can lead to greater insight and a greater sense of self-understanding.
Art Therapy may be a primary form of therapy or used adjunctively with other therapies as part of a holistic treatment plan. This gentle and creative approach puts the focus on the client. Psychotherapeutic approaches may include a range of humanistic, archetypal, psychodynamic, cognitive, behavioural and developmental theoretical frameworks.
Art - Assisted Therapy
- Is a way to express feelings when words are inadequate, unavailable or just not helping.
- Is about the art process and creative exploration. It is not about the finished art product.
- Is effective for those who have a variety of health issues including depression, grief, mental, physical, spiritual and other impairments including Alzheimers, cancer, stress and many other ailments or limitations.
- Is a highly specialized and emerging health service as greater evidence is gathered on it's effectiveness in treating clients of all ages, races and cultural backgrounds.
Children, Teens, Adults and Seniors can all benefit from Art-Assisted Therapy when experiencing emotional or physical difficulties such as:
- Loss, anticipatory grief and bereavement
- Relationship difficulties, separation and divorce
- Work related conflict and stress
- Low self-esteem or self-image
- Emotional and physical challenges
- Learning disabilities
- Pet loss
- Memory impairment
- Impaired motor skills
Straja offers a safe and confidential environment where you can relax and explore your inner feelings and work through issues that may be preventing your well-being. The art created in this therapeutic setting is about the process, not the final product. In all case, supplies are provided.
Contact Straja to make an appointment or ask about a group session for your work place, team or family.